State of Ohio 49 State of Michigan 7; Final
COLUMBUS – My how time flies. Looks like just yesterday Ohio State was gearing up for its first home game of the season against Oregon. On Saturday, the fourth-seeded Buckeyes will play the final game of the year at Ohio Stadium as the No.7 from Michigan State arrives in town.
Scarlet and Gray and the Spartans both have plenty to play in this contest. Every team’s dreams of winning the Big Ten title and making the college football playoffs still live on. So there is a lot to play on this game.
Ohio State has not lost since that Week 2 game against Oregon, having won eight straight games to reach 9-1 so far this year. Michigan State was undefeated after eight games, including beating rivals Michigan, before losing a disappointing road loss to Purdue two weeks ago.
The Buckeyes and Spartans will premiere at 12 p.m. ET on ABC. Follow Bucknuts as you watch the game for updates and analysis throughout the contest.
- Michigan State touched up a few points here in the second half, but Buckeye’s defensive saves have been solid.
- The Ohio State offense has hit breaks since CJ Stroud came out. The Buckeyes again.
TOUCHDOWN (14:55) Ohio Stat 49 Michigan State 7
- The state of Michigan is finally on the board of directors. It’s a 12-yard touchdown pass from Payton Thorne to Keon Coleman.
- Another reverse pass. This time it’s Zach Harrison who forces the third down.
- Kyle McCord’s first pass attempt is intercepted.
- Kyle McCord in the game for Ohio State quarterback. CJ Stroud ended that monster day by completing 32 of 35 passes for 432 yards and six touchdowns.
- The Spartans kick again. This second-string Buckeye defense still does its job.
- Michigan state backer Kenneth Walker’s previous season low were seven carries and 57 yards (and 1 touchdown) against Youngstown State this year. He has six carries for 25 yards (no touchdowns) today against Ohio State and is on the sidelines while the Spartans are on offense.
- Noah Ruggles misses his first pitch of the season at 38 meters.
- CJ Stroud sacked. Field goal unit entering the field for Ohio State.
- Ohio State’s three starting receivers – Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, Jaxon Smith-Njigba – all received over 100 yards today.
- Master Teague is now on the run after taking part in the pre-game Seniors Day celebrations.
- CJ Stroud remains in the game to start the second half.
- And Ohio State still forces a punt.
- Lots of second-team players are there to defend Ohio State
- Ohio State kicks off the second half. Cade Kacherski down for the Buckeyes
- CJ Stroud kneels down.
- The Ohio State defense forces another Michigan State punt. The Buckeyes may have a chance to score again.
- CJ Stroud’s sixth touchdown of the game – it’s the first half – equaled a one-game record in Ohio State.
TOUCHDOWN (1:37) State of Ohio 49 State of Michigan 0
- Jaxon Smith-Njigba couldn’t be more open on a five-yard touchdown
- CJ Stroud’s first half on 25, 330 yards, and 5 touchdowns (with 5:46 left) is impressive. But that Buckeye defense kept the nation’s top rusher at 24 yards.
- Three and once against Michigan State.
TOUCHDOWN (7:01) Ohio State 42 Michigan State 0
- This play is repeated for the Ohio State offense. Easy driving and a wide open Garrett Wilson this time around.
- Tyreke Smith ended Michigan State’s last practice, reversing a third-place pass at the line of scrimmage.
- CJ Stroud’s pass to bring the Buckeyes back to the one-yard line broke the Ohio State back-to-back completion record. He’s 17 in a row, beating the previous mark set by JT Barrett and Justin Fields.
TOUCHDOWN (10:02) Ohio State 35 Michigan State 0
- Another effective workout for Ohio State ends with a one-yard run from Miyan Williams.
- Cameron Brown almost has a pick, which could have gone for six, but drops him on the sidelines.
- This is Julian Fleming’s first touchdown in his career.
TOUCHDOWN (14:05) State of Ohio 28 State of Michigan 0
- On the other side of the field, same result. Julian Fleming with the touchdown grab.
- Ronnie Hickman forced a fumble and Ty Hamilton recovered. The Buckeyes get the ball right away.
TOUCHDOWN (2:31) State of Ohio 21 State of Michigan 0
- It’s another touchdown from Chris Olave, this time at 43 meters.
- And Michigan State misses the wide field goal on the right.
- The exam judges that this is an incomplete passage. Fourth-and-10
- In the third apparent conversion of the Spartans’ third down, the ball comes out. This is called a catch and down in the field but it is under review.
- Michigan State moving the ball. They recorded third and long term conversions.
TOUCHDOWN (8:03) Ohio State 14 Michigan State 0
- Garrett Wilson lines up behind his defender, CJ Stroud puts him on the money. It’s a 77-yard touchdown.
- The Spartans got a first goal on that possession, but couldn’t do much more. The pressure and coverage were great for the Buckeyes.
- Ohio State putting a lot of pressure on Michigan State’s first possession
- CJ Stroud was 9 of 10 on that drive for 76 yards. A nice catch from Chris Olave on the score.
TOUCHDOWN (10:42) Ohio State 7 Michigan State 0
- CJ Stroud finds Chris Olave for a 23-yard touchdown after an efficient first practice.
- Miyan Williams in half offensive
- Lots of Ohio State’s quick passes early on, including a number on the outside.
- Julian Fleming back on the Buckeyes kickoff.
- The Ohio State game captains today are Kam Babb, Chris Olave, Thayer Munford and Haskell Garrett. Michigan State wins the toss and defers. Buckeyes star with the ball.
- Huge standing ovation for running back Master Teague, who is a junior redshirt but chose to make the senior day for Ohio State. The biggest standing ovation, however, goes to Ohio State wide receiver Chris Olave.
- Seniors’ day activities have started.
Here are some pre-game reads from our coverage this weekend:
Ohio State to be deprived of 15 players against Michigan State
10 pressing questions as the Buckeyes prepare to face the Spartans
A Look Behind Enemy Lines with Spartan Tailgate’s Stephen Brooks
Do you take the Buckeyes or the Spartans against the spread?
Predictions for Ohio State vs Michigan State
Get Excited With This Week’s Ohio State Game Trailer
Ohio State’s ‘March Madness’ approach at end of season has Buckeyes ready for tough stretch
Everything you need to know to be ready for the Buckeyes vs. the Spartans
Live Updates From This Week’s Ryan Day Show
Buckeyes could be first Big Ten team to have three 1,000-yard receivers
How to watch Ohio State vs. Michigan State
Buckeyes remain at No 4 in latest college football playoff standings
Everything Ryan Day Said to Kick off Michigan State Week
Ohio State’s ‘scary’ offense has potential to lift Buckeyes to titles when everything clicks
Ohio State to honor 24 Buckeyes as part of Senior Day before Michigan State game
Where the state of Ohio is statistically after week 11
CJ Stroud and Garrett Wilson take Big Ten Player of the Week honors
A first look at the Spartans ahead of this week’s game
The Buckeyes opened as big favorites against Michigan State
Garett Wilson shows he completes Ohio State offensive